Things to think about:
- Most medical abortions are completed within 2 weeks, but can take up to 3 or 4 weeks.
- Side effects include heavy bleeding, headache, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and cramping.
- If this method fails, a surgical abortion will be required.
- The abortion pill is not the same thing as the morning after pill.
If you’re looking for a medical or non-surgical abortion in Kansas City by taking “abortion pills”, talk to Rachel House. Our client advocates can provide the abortion education you need to fully understand what kinds of abortions are available for your situation. Before visiting an abortion clinic or getting any type of abortion, you will need to know:
Am I really pregnant?
- How far along?
- Is the pregnancy active?
- Am I at risk for an STD? (which could impact the abortion)
Before you decide to have an abortion in Kansas City, Rachel House can help you understand your options. Make an appointment to speak with one of our client advocates about abortion methods available to you, your personal situation and any questions you have. All services at Rachel House are free and confidential.
Free Pregnancy Tests
Before getting any type of abortion in Kansas City, you will need to verify that you’re really pregnant. Even if you have pregnancy symptoms or have taken a test at home, it helps to have a medical quality pregnancy test to confirm. Rachel House offers free pregnancy tests that are more accurate than many over-the-counter varieties. And if you have a positive test at Rachel House, you may qualify for a free ultrasound to determine if you have a live, uterine pregnancy.
Having a limited ultrasound to determine the status of your pregnancy is important before getting any kind of abortion in Kansas City. An ultrasound can help identify:
- the location of your pregnancy. If the pregnancy is in the fallopian tubes (or ectopic pregnancy) you are not a candidate for abortion and will need to seek immediate medical attention.
- whether you have a living, uterine pregnancy. As many as 31% of all pregnancies will naturally miscarry – avoiding the need for an abortion.